Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Humor futures at a weekly low

Wizard of Id 7/22/08
Today's Wizard of Id didn't really catch my eye until the second time I read it. My first skim just registered "lame oil price joke," but on the second viewing I noticed the positioning of the "140" in the third panel. It's positioning in the speech bubble gave me the impression of "fill in this space later with the current crude oil price. " Now that's pretty commendable, even if it is only for the sake of a super-lame joke. Yet, doesn't this take place centuries in the past? Am I reading a modern interpretation into a comic based in antiquity? Perhaps at some time in the middle ages nut and flax oil was worth the price of 140 male deer. Even wikipedia notes that hot oil was very expensive at the time...

...and then I remembered this is Wizard of Id.

Archie 7/22/08
"I thought the voices had come back! They told me to kill...kill...KILL VERONICA! KILL JUGHEAD! KILL JUGHEAD'S STUPID HAT! The voices...they're everywhere..."

1 comment:

Volt said...

Nice research. There's nothing I love more than research done for completely frivolous reasons. It's just the best.